Wednesday, March 24, 2010

England Culture Club

After school two days a week I tutor kids through the 21st Century Bridge to Success grant. One day a week I also sponsor an enrichment club. There are several clubs kids can choose from but for the past two years I have been the sponsor for the "Culture Club" where kids learn about different countries and cultures around the world.

I started this club partly to help my kids from other countries share their country's history and culture. I teach about each country for about three weeks. Sometimes we watch movies or documentaries about the country. Usually I try to get some type of food from the country we're studying for the kids to try. We also do some type of craft and learn about the history and if I can I teach them a little of the language. My Culture Club has just finished studying about England. Our art project was to make Robin Hood hats.



While making the Robin Hood hats wasn't exactly easy (it even required a call to my mom to find out how much material to buy) the kids were able to finish their hats in one session and wear their hats home.


Since we used fabric glue instead of sewing the hats we watched Disney's animated Robin Hood while we waited for the glue to dry. The following week we finished our movie and had a tea party with scones and clotted cream and Earl Grey tea with sugar cubes. I had bought the plastic coffee cups at Doll's Market (so the hot tea wouldn't melt the otherwise Styrofoam cups). All the kids wanted to take their cups home so I let them.
---Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment