Friday, August 28, 2009

Shifting assignments


My manager has been protecting me from new assignments, letting me finish off assignments from my old position and focus on getting my feet wet with the Presbyterian Panel, as I try to make deadlines and hopefully keep up with more of the backlog of Panel work that he wasn’t always able to keep up with when he had the job and also had lots of other projects. But Thursday/Friday the manager asked me about taking on a new project, working with a consultant and the World Mission unit – a unit I’ve worked with before – on strategic planning. The project is bigger than I had thought when I tentatively said Yes – and/but is also supposed to be done in about a month – which is a very tough deadline but also means it will be over sooner rather than later. We’ll see how it shapes up. One of the key players is on vacation for the next week (another one of them is pictured above). My manager said some nice things about me in referring the clients to me.

Stephanie is in kind of a similar boat. Her main teaching English as a New Language has apparently been trying to shift some of her responsibilities and she has started pushing Stephanie to teach not only the Scholastic standardized. Computerized Read 180 curriculum to the upper-grade students (ENL and other ) but also the lower-grade version Systems 44, which she was supposed to teach, to Stephanie. The advantage of this is that Stephanie – although she’s have to learn two new curricula/systems – would have to do very little lesson planning. I don’t really like Stephanie getting pushed around so much by her colleague, however, and the move isn’t necessarily good for the students/the school as a whole (and Stephanie is still somewhat skeptical about these new curricula and they may not last more than a couple of years at the school.

-- Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment