Sunday, June 21, 2009

Celebration


Usually twice a year - before and after tax season - (at the United Way headquarters, a former TV station office just blocks from the Presbyterian Community Center) I go to a celebration with the Louisville Asset Building Coalition - that sponors a dozen Volunteer Tax Assistance sites around town - including the one I volunteer at at the Presbyterian Community Center. Mayor Abramson usually stops by, and he did so this time early and briefly, sharing the microphone with Eric Seto, the LABC director. Below, Maylyn, of the Internal Revenue Service, honors Eurana and her Portland Promise Center, a site that passed a quality review. During the past time Decembers, Eurana has trained me.


Eric always lands top-notch entertainment for us. Before Eric and the mayor came on, the West Louisville Girls' Choir performed (see later blog entries). As things wound up, the West Louisville Boys' Choir (modeled after the Harlem Boys Choir - and all African-American unlike the Girls's Choir) performed. The PowerPoint continued to roll in the background. I got a nice T-shirt with that design on the front.


The director of the boys' choir spoke with us.



And the choir sang.



I only saw Charles from the Presbyterian Community Center, until Tenida (camera-shy - angling out of the picture behind Charles) brought me my certificate.



I did manage to catch a picture of Tenida, our volunteer site coordinator, a little later.



I snuck out early - missing the cake - with my T-shirt, certificate, and (new this year) a letter from the mayor - to make it to the dinner with Stephanie, Sarah, and Dean. I was a little relieved there was much less food at the reception/celebration this year (really only cake and a few snacks) - budget cuts? - because I knew I had more to eat at home. Ironically, I've been asked by a couple in our church to help them this week with their taxes (long after the tax season is over). It won't be as easy if I'm not able to use our software. I don' t think they will owe any taxes, in which case they won't owe any penalties.
-- Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment