Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Big two days


Today I learned I will probably need to go head and step up to chair our church’s Outreach Council – decimated by the move of the couple who chaired the council and the council’s Evangelism Committee – immediately instead of next January. (I warned the pastor I will have to trim my involvement in some other church activities.) Shortly, I will pick up our car – with help from Mom – whose bouncy demeanor should be over, since we’ve gotten the struts replaced and replace two tires the bad struts ruined. Although both of our cars still leak oil, we should have the option of driving the Nissan on trips now if we choose to. (This was the last big thing wrong with the Nissan, other than the oil leak.)

Late this afternoon I go to Baptist East Hospital for a CT scan of my pelvis in connection with pain apparently recurring from my old hernia, on which I had surgery two years ago.

Today Vincent’s friend Samantha – having apparently been booted from the homes of the young man who stayed with her last fall and with whom Vincent stayed in Denmark last summer, as part of the non-official exchange trip to Denmark – returns. Sans stitches, Vincent will still be on crutches. Unless I get him a wheelchair at church or he gets one at the airport, he’ll go much further on crutches than he ever has on his way to the gate. Vincent has been crutching down to our neighbor’s house two houses away to visit with Evan, their son whom Vincent resisted meeting more or less for four years.

Thursday Vincent is supposed to be able to start venturing out without his crutches. He has an appointment to do a Kentucky Fried Chicken taste test (front of the HQ pictured above – you’ll recall the lab and lab entrance are in the back – we’ll see if Vincent finds a handicapped accessible entrance to the lab) – which Stephanie would need to take him to – and the appliance repairperson is supposed to come back to look at the dishwasher again.

Early Thursday afternoon I have my second mid-year review meeting with my new manager – since he took over – and my first review since I took over his old position as associate for survey research/Presbyterian Panel administrator. I’m nervous about this as I have missed a lot of deadlines he and I set for me in the annual review process in January and he and I have been clashing a little more as he expects me to get Panel tasks done almost as efficiently and in a similar manner to how he did them (even while I have trouble handing off some of my old responsibilities). Adding the Outreach Council chairperson responsibility won’t help with this; ending my 4 ½ years as Toastmasters vice president for education will help. I managed to peek at a little of the Michael Jackson tribute/funeral event Tuesday a bit without it slowing me down much. At work we have also changed our editing process so that both of our managers – not just one – edit things, which can double the length of time in the process (a mixed bag – better reports; more micromanagement).

-- Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment