Sunday, July 12, 2009

La Boy La Femme

After leaving a rather high-brow black and white movie event, Yvonne (a friend from church) and I headed over to Connections, a gay bar known for its drag queen dance review shows. We met up with Yvonne's friend, Charles, at the ATM in front of the hospital where Yvonne has just finished her 2nd year residency.

Having never been to a drag show before I was astounded by the bodies of these guys/gals (I'm not sure what to call them). Yvonne and I had some discussions about how the bodies of these men looked better than many women's bodies (like ours). We also discussed if a gay man goes to a drag show to see a man that looks like a woman, is the gay man really just looking at a woman? and if so, how does that make him gay? Rather philosophical dialogue between blasting techno music, disco and laser lights, waiters taking drink orders, men (and some women) rushing up to the stage to offer money to the dancers, and couples of various mixes dancing.



Mokha Montrese, the above dancer, was a big hit. As soon as the announcer said who was going to be dancing and the music started thumping the men flocked to the stage. Some men (the one in the very front in this picture) would often stand there and give the dancers several dollars in a sequence. The dancers in turn would dance in front of him and then let him kiss their cheeks. Charles did not like one particular dancer, Supermodel Asia, so he would actually turn his seat around so his back would be to the dancer. Note to non-attendees...they do not take their clothes off they just don't wear very many clothes to begin with.



Hurricane Summers, in the below picture, is the master mind of the show. She/he does a stand-up comic type act. She comes off the stage and into the audience. She heckles/talks to the audience and jokes around with them. First timers were especially prone to being heckled. Yvonne and I lied to Charles and said I had been there before so that Charles wouldn't call Hurricane over to our table. Hurricane did find a couple of people to really pester as so I was safe.



At one point Hurricane Summers was joined by two men that were actually dressed like men. They call themselves La Boy La Femme. They lipsynched and danced to the Scrotum Song. The following link shows the song at a previous show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MewWCcJuMQ . Much of the song was very tongue-in-cheek and full of double meanings. When Yvonne and I finally went to the dance floor part of the club we went to a balcony so we could observe everyone. Since neither she nor I felt like dancing (I had a blister from my new pair of shoes and she had just eaten White Castle's) we discussed dancers on the dance floor and took turns voting people off (much like a popular tv show).


I left during the second show, around 2ish, and got home about 2:30. I couldn't remember the last time I was at a bar that late. Yvonne walked me to the car where we talked for awhile. I was under the impression that bars closed at 2:30. Yvonne said that in Louisville some bars don't close until 4 or 6 am. Man, I'm too old to stay out that late!
----Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment