Sunday, July 12, 2009

Phantom of the Opera


Some time last week as I was leisurely perusing the newspaper (my summer morning ritual) with a cup of coffee I came across an article about the Louisville summer movie series at the historic Palace Theater downtown. When we lived in Ohio we watched old movies at the Ohio Theater during their summer movie series, including Lawrence of Arabia. As I read on the article described the movies that would be in Louisville for the summer. They were having a old monster movie revival. This seemed like something right up our alley.



The first movie was showing Friday night. Thursday day Perry called me from work. He wanted to know if I (and possibly boy) wanted to see a old black and white monster movie that was showing in a downtown theater. As we discussed what movie it was I had to laugh. I still had the article out on the kitchen table so I would know the schedule of all the different movies.



Friday night Perry and I did go to the opening movie, the 1925 black and white silent (it did have a musical score) version of The Phantom of the Opera. Perry and I had seen the musical while living in Columbus so hearing the old score we could definitely tell that Andrew Lloyd Webber was influenced by this movie. We grabbed popcorn and drinks (how often do you get to a movie theater that offers wine and beer...even though I opted for ginger ale) and headed into the beautiful theater.



We enjoyed the atmosphere and then the lights went down. I was completely wowed! The ceiling and walls that weren't decorated were painted a soft blue and had lights shining on them. This gave the impression that you were in an elaborate Italian garden watching a performance on an amphitheater stage. It was better than being outside. You sat in nice padded seats. There was no itchy grass or biting bugs. But, best of all, it was air-conditioned. This was definitely an experience.




As we left the theater Perry spotted some people we knew. There was Marcus (the juggler you might have seen in the Churchill Downs entry) and his wife, Yvonne, and their oldest daughter, Arriana. Yvonne and I have a friendship at church based on a love of shoes and the possession of bad feet. Dansko and Birkenstock sales are often a basis of much excitement. Yvonne is winding up her residency in Internal Medicine, so is on her feet a lot. Of course being a teacher, I can say the same as well.



Standing in the elaborately decorated hallway (Mom and Bob...this makes the Columbus theater's pale in comparison) we realized that we were parked not very far from each other. We walked and laughed to our cars as we discussed the movie. We all had enjoyed the movie and were looking forward to some of the other offerings this summer, including one of the movies, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, which if I remember right was shot on location at Wakulla Springs just south of Tallahassee. We all agreed we would have to come back.



Perry especially enjoyed the elaborate artwork throughout the whole theater. The ceiling (sorry, the pictures didn't turn out) has carved bas relief portraits of famous playwrights, characters, historical figures, etc.




We oohed and aahed at all of the nights offerings. And then...as we walked to the car Marcus mentioned he had to go to work. Arriana had to go home. Perry had a slight headache. But, Yvonne and I were still ready to go out.




Just as we arrived at Marcus and Yvonne's car Yvonne mentioned another place that Yvonne and I could go. The night was young (only 9ish). We were without children and husbands. We had already participated in a rather high-brow artistic performance. Yvonne wanted to know if I was interested in something a little more alternative. I'm always up for new things. So Marcus drove off with Arriana. Yvonne and I dropped Perry off at his car and Yvonne and I were off to our next adventure - which, as you'll see, was more alternative.



--- Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment